Constipation is common in children, but there are a few things you can do to prevent it from happening:
- Make sure your child drinks enough fluids each day.
- Offer a diet that is high in fibre. Whole grains, cereals, beans, lentils, and fruits such as bananas and apples are good sources of fibre. Choose fruit over fruit juice, if possible, because fruit juice doesn't contain the fibre whole fruits have.
- Create a regular toilet schedule (for example, after breakfast) so your child can get into the habit of going to the washroom. Make sure your child is comfortable and place a stool under his or her feet so it's easier for him or her to push.
- Encourage your child to be active and be active with your child. Physical activity promotes healthy bowel function.
- Talk to your child about having a bowel movement when he or she has the urge. Sometimes children will forget about it when they are too focused on another activity