Having psoriasis is not easy. You may feel self-conscious, frustrated, embarrassed, angry, and helpless. You may find your relationships with loved ones, colleagues, or classmates are negatively affected or disrupted because of psoriasis. Social discrimination may cause you to feel shame, humiliation, and isolation.
Psoriasis can also cause stress, which can make your symptoms worse because stress is also a trigger for psoriasis. Psoriasis treatment can also be a burden: you may have to apply topical medications or get injections frequently, both of which can be inconvenient and a reminder that you have the disease.
You're not alone in feeling this way. 75% of people with psoriasis feel that the condition has a negative impact on their quality of life.
The good news is that you don't have to live with these feelings. You can take control of your psoriasis, improve your quality of life, and learn to live well with psoriasis.
Here are some tips to get your life back:
- Find ways to cope with stress. Talk to someone about stress in your life, take up a hobby, and try meditating to relax. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Instead try to focus on the positive and remind yourself of the things you can do.
- Exercise regularly. Getting active can help you feel better and healthier, and is also a great way to reduce stress.
- Educate others. Teach your friends and family about psoriasis so that they will understand and accept your condition. Then, they can help lift your spirits with the support and feedback you need when you're not feeling your best.
- Join a support group. Talking to others who have psoriasis can help you take control of your psoriasis. You might also make a new friend!
- Talk to your doctor about your psoriasis treatment options. Clearing lesions is possible. When your psoriasis is under control, you will feel less of an emotional impact, and you will feel better about yourself. Use the doctor discussion guide to help start the conversation.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2018. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/Psoriasis-How-to-Get-Your-Life-Back